I’ve received a bunch of emails lately from new bloggers looking to tackle a site for themselves, which is awesome! Given that most people have similar questions when starting out, I’ve come up with the following advice letter that I send back. That way they at least get the basics answered in advance while they come up with specific questions. Here is my new blogger advice letter for anyone out there that may not want to email me directly:
Here are my first tips, but let me know if you have any specific questions!
- COMMENT. I used to comment on 10-30 blogs a week in the personal finance niche and am trying to pick up the habit again.
- Commenting is followed closely by guest posting.
- Post regularly. Blogs grow faster when there is material flowing. I’d suggest a minimum of 3 times a week for fast growth – I post daily at Budgeting in the Fun Stuff and post about once a week at How I Make Money Blogging. BFS grew way faster.
- Blog carnivals are great for link love but won’t bring a ton of new readers. Link love is VERY important though so I highly suggest them as well.
- Join a forum. Being a member of the Yakezie blogging group was amazing.
- Don’t be in this for the money. Have fun with it.
- Read the successful blogs in your niche.
Here are a few posts I’ve done about blogging at BFS and CCT and I also started a whole blog about it at http://howimakemoneyblogging.com/: