Last week was the first full week that my husband worked from home with me. So far, so good. I am really happy that he is a fast learner and so grateful to have help!
Here are some tips I have picked up so far about working from home with your spouse:
- Have separate working spaces or you may end up driving each other nuts. We have separate offices and that seems to be working well.
- Communication isn’t just good for a marriage, it is really important for the business too. We make sure to tell each other what’s going on so we don’t miss anything big while we find our groove.
- Lists help. Mr. BFS has his daily task list and I have mine. Things are added throughout the day as needed to both, but in the end, the lists are completed and we keep our sanity.
- Start small. Mr. BFS is learning the business from the ground up and it has meant that the more difficult tasks are easier to learn since he already learned the basics.
- Take each other’s opinions seriously. Just because Mr. BFS hasn’t been doing this for the last year with me doesn’t mean I should ignore his suggestions. In fact, he has already stream-lined our record keeping so it is more accurate and faster.
- Make sure each of you have reasonable expectations. I got ticked off the other night because I was still working and Mr. BFS was out testing his prototype board game. I never asked him for more help, so he had no idea why I was mad.
- Have outside hobbies. I do not want my marriage to ever suffer because we are spending every waking second together. So I have friends to go out with and blogging like this to do and Mr. BFS has reffing, board gaming, and Curling. We also have joint activities like poker night and bowling.
Have you ever worked with your spouse? Could you share any tips?