I know it’s been less than a week of self-employment, so take this with a grain of salt, but old habits seem to die hard. I was really looking forward to sleeping in and setting my own hours, but my 6 years with my day job are holding on tight.
Habits that Are Holding On:
- Waking up before 8am – I have heard most self-employed people make their own hours, but my body already seems to have one.
- Showering – I feel icky in the mornings without a nice, hot shower.
- Breakfast – My stomach reminds me if I haven’t eaten by 9am.
- Desk – I have to clean off my desk off every evening before I go to bed so it’ll be clean the next day or I actually won’t go into the room in the morning…
- Phone – I have accidentally answered my own cell phone using the line I used to have to say at my day job. Sheesh.
- Lunch – If I don’t eat by 1pm, I feel sick. I’ve already created a snack drawer in my desk with fruit and granola bars, lol.
- Magic 5pm – I do not feel like doing anything between 4pm and 6pm. That used to be my commuting and dinner time, and apparently it is now my play with dogs time.
- Ignore my Email Notifications – I have had to stop picking up my phone every time I get a new email. It’s better to check between tasks.
- Meals on Wheals Volunteering – I delivered lunches on Monday, but there isn’t actually any talking. I think I’ll help get the meals ready instead from here on out and just deliver meals when they need a substitute driver.
- Errands – I used to do errands and chores like laundry on the weekends, but now I do them around lunch.
- Dogs – I didn’t realize that I hadn’t been playing with my dogs for a couple of months. I was feeding them, letting them out, and medicating them. I’ve added play to the list.
I am sure I’ll look back at this in a month and laugh at myself, but it is still new and shiny to me now.
What do you think? Other than the phone answering problem, my old habits aren’t too bad, right?